Saturday, July 12, 2014

Living in Chaos

I think that one of the hardest parts of renovating the girls' room was deciding how we were going to move the girls out of their room.  As I mentioned in my previous post, they are hoarders my nature (as almost all kids are) and they have a lot of stuff.  Not to mention that we do not live in a very large home so it was not like we could move them into a guest room or anything. 
If you promise not to judge, I will take you on a very quick tour of how we will be living during this renovation.
 
Here is a look into our hallway.  At the end, blocking access to our computer, you will see a large clothing rack with all of their hanging clothes.  Underneath, you will see two laundry baskets filled with their shoes.  Just in front of that you will see a cubby shelf full of all of their books and their American Girl Dolls.  The blue dresser is always there and acts as our linen closet so you can just ignore that.  But that white thing in the foreground with, what look to be, wheels on it.  That is their dresser.
 
Originally, we thought that we may just be able to move each girl's bed into the hall and make it into a little mock bedroom for them.  But, as you can see, that plan did not happen.
 
Plan two was to let the girls sleep in our bedroom while Matt and I slept on our couches.  Makes me kind of wish that we sprung for that sleeper sofa when we bought new couches back in January.  That plan wasn't going to work either, mainly just because I like my bed too much.
 

So, we made some room in our bedroom to put Peyton's mattress in our room (notice there is even more stuff from the girls' bedroom loaded up in the Master).


And we put Elaina on the floor in Drew's room.  I would like to take a moment here to emphasize that this room is only 6 feet by 9 feet.  They are living in very tight quarters right now.


I really thought this would be difficult for all three kids.  Peyton and Elaina have shared a room since Peyton was 2 years old so I was not sure how they would handle being split up.  I also was not sure how Drew would react to having a roommate.  It the end, the novelty of it all won over and all three kids are having a blast.  The girls have spent more time laying in their beds reading during the day than I think they ever have before.  I also think this may make transitioning Drew to a big boy bed easier because he loves laying on Elaina' bed.  And, last night after tucking the kids in, I over heard Elaina and Drew talking before going to sleep.  I don't think there is anything cuter than a conversation between a two year old and a nine year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment